The VectorStar ME7848A opto-electronic network analyzer (ONA) provides a modular approach to optical measurements of O/E, E/O, and O/O devices operating at 850, 1310, and 1550 nm wavelengths. There are two configurations available: the VectorStar ME7848A-100 series includes the MN4765B O/E calibration module and the VectorStar ME7848A-200 series adds the MN4775A E/O converter.
The VectorStar ME7848A-200 series provides the ability to quickly switch between O/E, E/O, and O/O measurements with specified traceable measurements established by the MN4765B O/E calibration module.
The VectorStar ME7848A ONA can be easily modified to different wavelengths by adding the appropriate MN4775A E/O converter and MN4765B O/E calibration detector. The VectorStar ME7838A-100 series can be upgraded to a 200 series by including the appropriate MN4775A E/O converter.
- Fast and accurate opto-electronic measurements — The VectorStar ME7848A 200 series ONA enables error-corrected transfer function, group delay, and return loss measurements of E/O and O/E components and subsystems.
- MN4765B O/E calibration module — The O/E calibration module is a thermally stabilized photodiode reference standard detector that can eliminate drift over temperature. Accurate bias voltage to the photodiode is maintained internally.
- MN4775A E/O converter — The E/O converter includes a lithium niobate (LiNbO3) modulator stabilized by a fully automatic bias controller and a tunable or fixed wavelength laser source. Excellent converter stability ensures characteristics remain consistent during measurement of opto-electronic DUT detectors and receivers.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) derived characterization — Magnitude and phase characterization of the O/E calibration module is obtained using a primary standard characterized by NIST and held in the Anritsu Calibration Lab.
- Internal VNA de-embedding for simplified calibration — The built-in application menus provide instructions that guide the user through the set-up and calibrations required for making E/O, O/O, and O/E measurements.
- Excellent stability and repeatability — Use of full 12-term calibration with de-embedding results in stable and repeatable measurements of opto-electronic devices using the VectorStar VNA.
- Modularity and upgradeability — The VectorStar ME7848A ONA can be easily modified to a different wavelength by adding the appropriate MN4775A E/O converter and MN4765B O/E calibration detector. The VectorStar ME7838A 100 series can be upgraded to a 200 series by including the appropriate MN4775A E/O converter.
MN4775A Electro-Optical (E/O) Converter
Fast and accurate opto-electronic measurements – The VectorStar MS4640B VNA series, when calibrated using the MN4765B module, enables error-corrected transfer function, group delay, and return loss measurements of E/O and O/E components and subsystems
- Combining the MN4775A E/O converter with the MN4765B modules enables calibrated measurements of O/E O/E devices
- The MN4775A E/O converter may be used in conjunction with the VectorStar MS4640B VNA or the ShockLine MS4652xB VNA series.
- The MN4775A includes a laser, an optical Mach-Zehnder intensity modulator, and a variable optical attenuator to control its output power.
- Internal circuitry provides various power and modulation configurations, as well as stabilizes overall performance
- Options determine the wavelength of operation — 859 nm for Option 0040; C-band (1527.6 to 1565.5 nm) for Option 0070; and 1310 nm for Option 0071